Thursday, November 3, 2016

Current Workout Routine

Over the past year I've cycled through many workout routines.  Some took too long, but mostly out of boredom.  I tend to switch routines every over month.  From the start of this school year I've been making very consistent strength gains on an upper, lower, upper, lower, upper split.  I've achieved my first straddle 90 degree pushup a few weeks ago, can do 5 full ROM handstand pushups, and now hold the advanced tuck planche for about 8 seconds for multiple sets.

This didn't happen until I cut out most of my one-arm handstand work.  For the past year that was my main goal and as a result, I made zero strength gains and was basically in maintenance mode.  During this time I had basically the same split, doing upper body strength at least 3 times a week.  I guess OAHS for 1.5 hours a day 6 times a week is too much??

Anyways, here are my new strength goals, as I figure its best to write them since I'm starting a new routine next week (out of boredom).

Pushing goals

- Full 90 degree pushup

- Straddle planche for ~3 seconds

*Also want to be able to do 5 reps full ROM HSPUs for 3 sets, however, I think that will be achieved indirectly from the previous two goals

Pulling goals

- To be able to consistently pull a one-arm pullup on my left arm (I can do them on my right arm easily, I've done one on my left about a month ago, none since)

- Maintain my full front lever for about 5 seconds...  Eventually want to hold a full FL for 10 seconds

Lower Body goals

- Deadlift double my bodyweight (deadlifted 194% my bodyweight a year ago)

- Front squat 185 lbs for reps and multiple sets

* I have been SO inconsistent with legs over the past 3 years that I have been training.  I've been going strong since this school year started, however.

Stretching

- To maintain palming the ground with knees locked in pike position

- To be able to comfortably get my knees on the ground in a pancake position

- To loosen my hip flexors because they always feel super tight


New Routine

I have been training 5 times a week for about 3 years now, so I think it's time to add an extra day.  Yay

I am going to try a similar routine with some different sets and rep schemes and exercises.

I'm also not going to specify sets and reps because whenever I do, I NEVER end up following it.  It will change based on how I feel that day.


Monday (upper)

- Full 90 degree pushup negatives

- 30-60 sec total tuck planche

- OAC/OAP negatives
 
- FL maintenance (isometrics or pullups)

- External rotation rotator cuff work

Tuesday (lower)

- Deadlifts

- Front Squat

- Stretching

Wednesday (upper)

- Advanced tuck planche

- OAP/OAC's and negatives

- External rotation rotator cuff

Thursday (lower)

- Front Squats 

- Deadlifts

- Stretching

Friday (Upper)

- Full 90 degree pushup negatives

- 30-60 sec total tuck planche 

- OAP/OAC negatives

-FL maintenance 

- External rotation rotator cuff

Saturday (Lower)

- Olympic lift practice (clean and jerk, snatch)

- Stretching
*I just started doing these lifts a couple weeks ago after being taught by a friend.  They're fun and will improve my thoracic mobility.


So this is essentially the same routine that I've been doing since the start of the school year. Instead of randomly doing olympic lifts when I have time, I will add them Saturday.  That will also count as an extra leg day.  

As for stretching, I will work on right and left front splits to stretch out the hip flexors and will do the pancake stretch 3 times a week after my lower body days.  I also need to do jefferson curls at least once a week to maintain my pike.

And lastly, I take my shoulder health extremely seriously and do extra rotator cuff/scapula strengthening after every upper body.  I also try to hang on a bar for at least 2-3 minutes every day, as I find it is SO good for your shoulders.












No comments:

Post a Comment